[Evolution] Local mail

Hi all, I am new to the list, and love Evolution! I had a problem with my local mail, every time it tried and checked it, it says something like spool stores can not be open, and could not lock /var/mail/pparks. I had to change my permissions to 777 for /var/mail to get it to work. Is there a real fix for this? I am the only user on my machine, but I would really like to put my permissions back to what they were for this directory. Thanks for the help
Patrick Parks
www.patrickparks.com
patrick patrickparks com
972.416.8377 (Home)