Re: [Evolution] Evolution components

On Sun, May 07, 2000 at 01:25:27PM -0700, Carl B. Constantine wrote:
On 5/7/2000 8:15, John Karcz at jsk29 cornell edu wrote:

ost of my stable GNOME libs are installed via RPMS in /usr.
The following, unstable, libraries are installed in
/home/john/Gnome:  bonobo, gnome-vfs, oaf, gtkhtml, and
libunicode.  Evolution is also installed in /home/john/GNOME.
(Bonobo was built with --enable-oaf=yes.)

Now how did you accomplish this? The README for Evolution states that Bonobo
MUST be compiled with the same --prefix as Gnome-Libs or other compiles
(including evolution) won't work.

I defined a GNOME_PATH variable, which includes the paths to all GNOME
trees I have installed.  For instance, when I configured gtkhtml (or any
of the other software from CVS), I used a command line like
GNOME_PATH="/usr:/home/john/Gnome" ./autogen.sh --prefix=/home/john/Gnome.

The compiles, installs, and some random tests of the installed stuff seemed
to work.  I'm not in-the-know enough yet about Bonobo to test it, though.

Whenever I run GNOME software now, I also have the GNOME_PATH variable
defined.

If you're like me and used Helix Gnome all the RPMS point to /usr(/lib)
instead of /usr/local(/lib). In fact, I've tried to do this and have
encountered errors in a couple programs during the config stage that mention
they can't find Bonobo, even though it's installed AND I run ldconfig -v
after each make install.

I don't use Helix GNOME.  I rebuild RPMS from the tarballed packages, using
rpm -ta --clean gbeermeister-2.0.0.tar.gz, or the like.  So, all of the
"stable" (tarballed) packages are installed by RPM in /usr, as usual.

John