Re: [Evolution] Evolution components

I was thinking about compiling all of Gnome from CVS from scratch, but I am
unsure if the Helix Gnome is the one in CVS (I like it over the existing
Gnome I have on RedHat 6.1). If so, great, I will do that, otherwise I have
to add the appropriate --prefix option so that everything works.

The Helix GNOME packages are the latest released packages, and are older
than the stuff in CVS.

Personally, what I do is install all of the Helix base packages but make
sure that none of the Helix -devel packages are installed, and I rebuild
everything from GNOME CVS and put it in /gnome. This includes imlib, glib,
gtk+, gdk-pixbuf, gnome-libs, etc., etc. One advantage to this is
that I give my regular user permissions to /gnome and so I don't
have to build/make install as root, which is handy. Before building, I
make sure that I have my ACLOCAL_FLAGS variable set to "-I
/gnome/share/aclocal" and my PATH set to $PATH:/gnome/bin. After I build
it and before I run it, I make sure that my GNOME_GNORBA_PATH is set to
/gnome/etc/CORBA/servers (when using gnorba and not oaf) and my
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set to /gnome/lib. I forget what the environment
variable is for OAF, but since it is unreleased and there are no RPMs for
it, if you're adventurous and want to try it, it is safe to symlink
/usr/share/oaf to /gnome/share/oaf and it should work okay.

Yeah, it's a bit of a pain in the behind, but I never have a problem
running evolution with this set up.

Joe