Re: [HC Evolution] Re: libole2 -> gnomevfs backend?

On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 10:54:21AM -0800, Kent Nguyen wrote:
2)  Single file copy can take a long time.  I remembered trying to rescue
a 1.3 GB .pst file.  Copying file to my local hard drive; it took a while.

I see no reason why a single 1.3 GB file would take longer to copy than 13
.1 GB files. It would seem faster, but not really be faster :)

3)  Lock.  When you have a lock on the single file, you'll end up locking
other people to write.  Sharing a single file for multi write will cause
your grief.  For example, I have a sales account.  I want more than 3
people to write to it.

This is a very valid point. But, what would happen with a directory-system
if a file was locked and someone else tries to access it? Would it keep
trying to lock it for a few minutes, making evolution unusable for the
time?

I think the solution is to get away from the file sharing idea completely.
If I want to share my file, I'd need to setup my NFS server, get
permissions right etc.

A better solution would be to share information inside evolution with other
people. Outlook has 2 ways to do this:

1) Exchange server. We could use IMAP and LDAP or something similar. This
   would require an admin to set up the server though.
2) Net folders. This uses normal e-mail and sends a mail every xx minutes to
   a bunch of people you select, notifying their Outlook of changes to
   folders in Outlook. I have personal experience with this one and I can
   tell you that Outlook's implementation is bad. It's unreliable and erratic.

--
Sarel Botha

99 little bugs in the code, 99 bugs in the code,
          fix one bug, compile it again...
          101 little bugs in the code....