RE: [HC Evolution] Re: libole2 -> gnomevfs backend?

jwz wrote:
A single file also means that one byte of corruption can
bring down the
whole house of cards instead of just part of it.

As I've hinted at, the information inside the file will be
hierarchical/directory-style, not a big opaque set of structures. It's only
a house of cards if the internal directory structure itself gets messed up,
which (I agree) is something we'd have to work to avoid.

Having redundancy is a good idea; in fact, it's seems easier to me to have
redundancy if we wrap our data into a single file. We could potentially keep
redundant information about stuff in the hierarchy, transparently, so that
we know when an internal stream has gone bad.

If one has gone bad, we'd need to try to recover as much as possible (just
like if you had a regular directory structure).

But again, this is not the main task in Evolution! We need lots of work on
querying, vfoldering, getting the calendar into the shell, fixing a few
bonobo problems, adding features to the e-table, etc. Besides which, Miguel
doesn't feel comfortable with the speed/stability of the current
filesystem-in-file solutions (gnome-vfs, efs etc), so we may be going for
the directory solution in the short term anyways.

-Matt