[HC Evolution] Introduction

On Wed, Mar 08, 2000 at 11:30:45PM -0500, Todd Chapman wrote:
I joined this list because I have been thinking about group scheduling
with Palm Pilot support, running on Linux for a long time now.

I'll introduce myself too, hopefully the list admins don't mind this.

I'm Nathan Straz.  I'm currently a senior at Clarkson University and
I've been interested in getting a nice calendar server that runs on a
free Unix.  I also have a Palm so an interface with that would also be
nice.  I first heard about the Evolution project from a recent Slashdot
story on Helix Code.

The question I have is, what about support for other platforms,
specifically Windows? What is the attitude of the Gnome people about this.

I probably shouldn't answer this, but I'll try anyway.  There are a few
standards for calendar exchange protocols.  The basis is iCalendar which
is an object model for calendar entries.  It was drafted by developers
at Microsoft and Lotus and most scheduler programs I've seen since
incorporate that exchange format.  So Windows support should be
possible.

I would love having good group scheduling software under Linux.
Unfortunately, some of the people I would need to share schedules with
don't use Linux.

I would love to see something like this.  I've been wanting to set up a
centralized calendar server for Clarkson.  Something where students can
pull off class and club schedules to add to their PDAs or publish as a
web page.

There was another project called Free Association by the Software Studio
in San Jose that was working on a calendar server.  They have released
their libical libraries, but I haven't seen any work on the server
itself.  Has there been any communications with the Software Studio?  I
apologize for not reading the archives beforehand.

Nathan Straz
Clarkson University