Re: [Evolution] A few questions, comments, problems

I don't think this is a good idea. What if the user doesn't have gpg? What
if gpg gets removed after you've started using Evolution? Not to mention
it'll slow things down to have to decrypt the password every few minutes
whenever a password was needed.

For those paranoid about passwords being in memory, Evolution will allow
you to enter the password in each time you check mail and then remove them
from memory as soon as it no longer needs the password.

Maybe it would be nice to have a "password manager" bonobo component that
could
be independant of evolution; the user could configure it the way he wants
(every password encrypted using gpg/pgp if available, ....) through a gnomecc
capplet
for example.

Moreover, this service could also be used by web browsers (galeon, for
example) to
manage passwords for web sites the way mozilla is doing it...

I mentioned something similar back in May of this year but it received
no attention. At the moment I have neither the time, nor the experience
with Bonobo/CORBA/GNOME to code a component up. But I would love to see
such a thing, especially with Miguel's big push on code reuse and UNIX
components.

See the message

http://lists.helixcode.com/archives/public/evolution/2000-May/000681.html
for more details.

-j

--
Joseph F. Dries III
President, DCsquared Inc.

 6th century scholar Dionysius Exiguus designated the initial epoch
 Anni Domini Nostri Jesu Christi. Gregorian calendar years are counted
 from AD 1 despite the belief that Christ was born a few years before
 AD 1. By extrapolation we find that the 20th century comprises the
 years AD 1901-2000. Therefore, the 21st century will begin with
 1 January 2001 and continue through 31 December 2100.
   -- http://aa.usno.navy.mil/AA/faq/docs/millennium.html