Re: [Evolution] Bounce/remail command

Hi.

Here's what Evolution does/will do:

There are "Reply" and "Reply To All" buttons that do the obvious
things. If you reply to a text message, it quotes it with "> "s. If
you reply to an HTML message, it does the appropriate HTML quoting.
(Is there a standard for that?) If you reply to a more complicated
message, it will try to quote the parts you might be replying to and
omit the rest. If you reply to a multipart/alternative, it will put
your preferred part into the composer, and you only reply to that
part. (If you have configured it to send multipart/alternative text,
then it will regenerate the other part(s) from your composed reply,
not from the original.)

There is a "Forward" button. It will forward as a message/rfc822
attachment. There should be some way to forward and edit something (so
you can forward someone a message but edit out the secret bits, etc).
I think the clean way to do this is to be able to edit the attached
message (in which case we have to deal with the multipart/alternative
splitting issue again). An alternative approach would be to have a
"pre-MIME style" forwarding command that gives the user a draft
containing the original message inline, with some sort of
"---Forwarded message" boundaries.

If forwarding doesn't include all of the "Received" headers by
default, then there will be an option to do that, for spam/harassment
reporting ease.

Having a "forward as multipart/digest" command would be nice. It seems
like there might be other operations you'd want to do on multiple
messages (delete, refile, etc), so it will probably be possible to
select multiple messages at once in the message list (shift click or
whatever), in which case you could just click "Forward" after doing
that, and voila.

There will be a "resend/bounce/remail" command. While "Resend" is the
RFC-appropriate name for this operation, it may be worthwhile to come
up with a name which more clearly states its intended purpose.
("Bounce" is no good: it implies "return to sender".) Regardless, the
command will not be placed in an easy-to-find location. I think
probably when you resend something, it will appear in the composer
read-only, and all you can do is enter recipients. (I haven't seen
anyone make a plausible argument for the use of "resend" that involved
editting the message, and doing it this way also makes it harder for
confused people to try to use it when they mean something else.)

Does anything think any of this is horribly horribly wrong, or that
there are other "get mail from your inbox to someone else's inbox"
sorts of operations that are not covered by this?

-- Dan