Re: [Evolution-hackers] lookup S/Mime encryption certificates over LDAP?

On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 3:24 PM, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 infradead org> wrote:
On Thu, 2014-10-09 at 19:25 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-10-09 at 13:48 +0200, RHE wrote:
> > Sounds great! Just found the code - it was submitted @ Sept. 2...
> > ...based on your experience as GnomeDev, how quick can we expect to
> > have this module released within the application? (devel || stable)
> > ...based on wiki info you have a monthly release schedule - or do
> > you might have NightlyBuilds on this already?

Hi,
there are issues that still need to be fixed like:
Appropriate loading of the module, somehow Evolution can load the certificates to be shown in the preferences window but when doing the email encryption NSS cannot find the certificate and doesn't even bother asking it to the module;
Optimizations within the module.

I'ts been a month without update, my apologies for that. I got caught by a college project and couldn't spend the appropriate time on the module and I have no hopes of doing so for the next 45 days.
Hope I'm not frustrating anyone, cause I'm getting frustrated enough. :(

>         Hi,
> the monthly release is correct. I'm not aware of any nightly builds,
> they are not done by the Evolution team for sure. I'm not sure whether
> this will reach 3.12.x (stable), but it should reach the development
> version (3.13.x) soon. If I'm not mistaken, then the merge is awaiting
> for some fixes on the EWS side and then on a final review from dwmw2.

Right. In order for evolution-pkcs11 to work with a given addressbook
back end, the back end needs to support the (relatively) new cursor API.
Our EWS code didn't. And needed to be updated in various ways before it
could. All of which is now done. It's even backported to the 3.12 branch
except for the final commit in the sequence which actually *enables*
cursor support.

I've also tweaked the default indexing of the database in order to make
the lookup more efficient.

I haven't looked at whether the LDAP back end supports cursors, but if
it does then evolution-pkcs11 should be OK.

Yes, support for Cursor API should be the only requirement from addressbooks.

After that there are some other efficiency issues, where the NSS and
Evolution code just behaves *badly* if it suddenly has 13,000 X.509
certificates. The biggest issue being bug 736808, where not only dies it
iterate over the list three times, but NSS uses a O(n²) algorithm to do
so.

My fault again, sorry.

--
Watson Yuuma Sato