Re: [Evolution-hackers] GSoC Ideas

On Tue, 2014-02-11 at 18:18 +0100, Milan Crha wrote:
On Tue, 2014-02-11 at 17:21 +0400, Emre Erenoglu wrote:
                2) Attachment Detach and Link function

This one, from my point of view, doesn't qualify for a GSoC project,
basically because it's "only" a serialization of two actions, which
might not make anybody busy for couple weeks. Also, as Andre mentioned
on the evolution-list, those "detached" attachments might not be
available, if you move to other machine (supposing you'll move the
attachment on a remote protocol, like IMAP, Exchange related, and so
on), thus the link to it will be relevant only on one machine, and only
until user actually deletes the file (or even better until overwrites it
with a content from other attachment, which may then just confuse
him/her, even unintentionally and being done by the user him/her-self).

It doesn't mean that it cannot live as a bug request, for someone whom
would like to play a bit with the code, it's just that it's too simple
for a GSoC project, from my point of view.

I agree.  I think it would be sufficient to just prompt to save the
attachments before permanently removing them.  The prompt would also
double as an "are you sure?" check to help avoid accidents.

Matthew Barnes