[Evolution-hackers] Data storage question

I'm trying to write a php script that will create mail accounts in
evolution.
So far, everything works fine and I seem to have all changes to files
identified and covered, and all file and folder creation taken care of
in the .evolution folder and .gconf folder.

However, I'm having the problem that .gconf/apps/evolution/mail/%
gconf.xml is being reverted when evolution is started up.

I am stopping all evolution related processes, and all instances of
gconfd-2 (if that one matters)
I was told I need to stop gconftool-2, but that isn't running on my
system.

What am I missing that causes the file to be reverted, or replaced with
a "first run" version?

I'm using Ubuntu 7.04

-Mike