Re: [Evolution-hackers] Interface to Junk versus Not Junk buttons

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 14:32 -0800, Joe Kelsey wrote:
On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 11:39 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 13:41 -0800, Joe Kelsey wrote:

> > > That best would be probably to write a "spamc" client for your spam
> > > filter...
> >
> > OK, so how about if I just implement my own personal spam filter which
> > adds the X-Spam-Flag header to incoming mail?  I really think the whole
> > spamc/spamd interface just reeks and I do not want to do it.  If
> > Evolution sees the X-Spam-Flag will it automatically put it in Junk?
> No it wont, but you can add something that can do it easily.
>
> e.g. you just add your X-Spam-Flag or whatever, and then you have a
> filter test which sets the junk flag if it is set to the right thing.

I am really sick of this whole concept.  I just want to do something
simple, but every time I try, Evolution gets in my way.  Why can't you
just do something simple?  Why do you have to make it complicated at
every single turn?
If a one line filter script is complex, then perhaps you're trying to reach beyond your skill set.
> > Also, how do I track down what actually happens when I use the Junk/Not
> > Junk buttons?  I can tag incoming mail as I want, but *exactly* what
> > happens when I press Junk or Not Junk?  How does it interact with the
> > actual junk interface?
> For this the easist way is similar to the original suggestion, by
> writing your own sa-learn, or whatever the command is it calls when
> you press those buttons.
>
> There is no way to 'plug in' new interfaces at present, even though
> the junk stuff is reasonably modular and is called
> 'camel-junk-plugin'.

Well, after searching blindly through the mess of source, I finally
found it in mail/em_junk_filter.c.  What a heaping load of rubbish.
This is the worst, undocumented pile of carp I have seen in quite a
while!
Well i'm sure radek will be glad to hear that.
What are the chances that you will actually allow others to add
something to this at some time in the future.  As I have said,
SpamAssassin stinks.  The interface to spamc/spamd stinks.  sa-learn
stinks.  Evolution junk interface stinks since it is tied exclusively to
stinking spamassassin.  Unless there is movement away from spam
assassin, I plan to move away from evolution.
Well, personally - good riddance, we don't need this attitude around here.

--
Michael Zucchi <notzed ximian com>
"Evolution - Mostly Practiced By Dumb People"