Re: [Evolution-hackers] Interface to Junk versus Not Junk buttons

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 11:39 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 13:41 -0800, Joe Kelsey wrote:

> > > That best would be probably to write a "spamc" client for your spam
> > > filter...
> >
> > OK, so how about if I just implement my own personal spam filter which
> > adds the X-Spam-Flag header to incoming mail?  I really think the whole
> > spamc/spamd interface just reeks and I do not want to do it.  If
> > Evolution sees the X-Spam-Flag will it automatically put it in Junk?
> No it wont, but you can add something that can do it easily.
>
> e.g. you just add your X-Spam-Flag or whatever, and then you have a
> filter test which sets the junk flag if it is set to the right thing.

I am really sick of this whole concept.  I just want to do something
simple, but every time I try, Evolution gets in my way.  Why can't you
just do something simple?  Why do you have to make it complicated at
every single turn?

> > Also, how do I track down what actually happens when I use the Junk/Not
> > Junk buttons?  I can tag incoming mail as I want, but *exactly* what
> > happens when I press Junk or Not Junk?  How does it interact with the
> > actual junk interface?
> For this the easist way is similar to the original suggestion, by
> writing your own sa-learn, or whatever the command is it calls when
> you press those buttons.
>
> There is no way to 'plug in' new interfaces at present, even though
> the junk stuff is reasonably modular and is called
> 'camel-junk-plugin'.

Well, after searching blindly through the mess of source, I finally
found it in mail/em_junk_filter.c.  What a heaping load of rubbish.
This is the worst, undocumented pile of carp I have seen in quite a
while!

What are the chances that you will actually allow others to add
something to this at some time in the future.  As I have said,
SpamAssassin stinks.  The interface to spamc/spamd stinks.  sa-learn
stinks.  Evolution junk interface stinks since it is tied exclusively to
stinking spamassassin.  Unless there is movement away from spam
assassin, I plan to move away from evolution.

/Joe