Re: [Evolution-hackers] Appointment and Meeting Editors -- 2.0 Thoughts

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 17:07, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 15:22, Ronald Kuetemeier wrote:
>
> > The question which will come up is, do you want the alarm before due or
> > start time?  I took it, as getting the task alarm and better get going
> > to be finished in time, if you use due time you have to calculate back
> > when you have to start working to be done at due time and set the alarm
> > accordingly. Sounds like a personal pref. to me what you call start time
> > for a task. I don't know if there is consensus on it.
>
> The spec is not terribly clear on it :(
>
> I understand it to be as follows.  As an example, in Mexico City you
> have to take your car for an emissions check twice a year.  The period
> when you have to take your car in depends on the last digit in the
> license plate -- 0 and 1 must have it checked by January, 2 and 3 by
> March, 4 and 5 by June, etc.  (Those dates are almost certainly not
> accurate, but it works in a similar way).
>
> You have two months to take your car for the emissions check.  Say that
> my car needs to be taken in during October or November.  I am not
> allowed to take it in before October, and I'll get a fine if I don't
> have the emissions check done by the end of November.  So, the start
> date for the task would be October 1, and the due date would be November
> 30.

Right, that's also my understanding.  But the question is, when do you
want the alarm to trigger?
Let's say it takes you 2 hours to do the test. Would you like the alarm
trigger say 4 hours before close of business on November 30. Or would
you like a general reminder before 1st of October that you have to have
your car checked.
Maybe there should be an option to  set the alarm for due or start
date/times, otherwise it will be utterly confusing for new users.
I made just a rule for me on how to use it since there was only one
option without editing the isc file and maybe I'm biased to that
solution since I'm used it.
Ronald