Re: roadmap discussion

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 10:34 +0100, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:

> > I for one would like to see other apps integrate more with Epiphany.  If
> > you click on a PDF file, for example, PDF Viewer is launched, but it
> > would be nice if PDF viewer had a Epiphany plugin.  Same goes for such
> > other common GNOME apps as totem, eog, and Gnumeric.
>
> This sounds weird to me. We've just abandoned the utter disaster that
> were the nautilus views - now you want to bring them back in epiphany?
> What's the advantage of viewing a PDF in a browser window as opposed to
> viewing one in a specialized viewer? I'll say the same about eog; if the
> mozilla backend allows it we should open a separate eog window when
> clicking on a .jpg hyperlink instead of trying to show it within the
> browser.

My justification of for that is this: Many if not most of the sites I go
to that have PDF files open a new window which links to the PDF file.
This is probably because they expect the Acrobat plugin to open in the
new window.  What happens with Epiphany/GNOME PDF Viewer is a new window
opens, that window is empty, then GNOME PDF Viewer opens with the PDF
file.  So you basically have two windows, one useless one, in order to
view the PDF (three if you count the original).  This annoys the
experienced user and confuses the newbie.  A plugin approach makes more
sense.

I agree that an eog plugin would be superfluous.

A totem plugin makes sense for obvious reasons.  Most sites that link
audio/video do so as an embedded link.  Right now there is nothing for
GNOME/totem that supports this.