Re: Popup blocker discoverability

On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 16:41 +0100, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> Good point. How about combining it with a system sound? (Yes I know this
> wouldn't make a difference for a certain percentage of users that
> can't/won't have sounds enabled.)

Hrm, what would I hate more: a browser which blocks popup windows
without warning me, or a browser which makes noises at me at
pseudo-random times?

The noises are far worse ;).

FWIW, I went to a website with popup windows using Firefox and it took
me quite a while to spot the "yellow bar" at the top saying the popup
windows were blocked. I think the only attention-grabber besides a popup
dialog would be using that notifications stuff in the panel (which I
don't understand yet -- is it even finished?).

And really, using the Epiphany popup blocker the way it is now, I really
don't get that annoyed that I don't notice when popups are blocked. In
fact, I feel the whole *point* of the popup blocker is that I don't
notice.

Of course, there's also the issue of a popup-blocking *dialog* arriving
instead of a popup *window* is pretty silly. Then again, it's just one
dialog on first use instead of lots of windows over the course of time.

Another option is to allow popups by default, so that the only users who
discover popups are the ones who go to the Preferences window. That's
not too horrible an idea, when you think about it. The only drawback: it
would be nice to have Epiphany block popup windows by default; that's a
feature just about any user would want to discover.

We've got a whole bunch of options which all suck here, and we've got to
pick the one which sucks the least. If we were to change the current
behavior, I think the least sucky alternative is the first-block dialog
box.

--
Adam Hooper <adamh densi com>