Re: Killer app

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 09:33:46AM -0600, marduk wrote:

 > Actually I would much prefer the built-in RSS reader in Thunderbird
 > because, for me, it seems much more natural to read feeds in an email
 > app than a browser. I'm just hoping someone will make an RSS plugin
 > for Evolution.

 I sort of assummed that Evolution 2 had an RSS aggregator, but the last
 time I looked at it, no, it doesn't.

 For me an RSS aggregator is more natural in the browser because

    * You can't reply to entries via email (without resorting to some
      mail2comment gateway -- which is hard to program, because there
      are N of this systems out there, ...).  Instead you post comments
      via HTML forms (yuck!)

    * Many contain links to extented versions of the entries or to
      webpages with further information and I rather have this in one
      program, not two (even if my mail program chews up 2-3 MB of RAM
      oppossed to the gazillion or two that Evolution and Thunderbird
      want, the prospect of a gazillion for Evolution plus a gazillion
      for Epiphany, erm, no thanks)

    * Some of the feeds I read are actually photoblogs, and I don't like
      reading this stuff in a mail program.

 All that said, I do convert some of the RSS feeds to mail :-) (in fact
 I have one RSS -> RSS -> mail thing for one news site I read because I
 don't like either the format or the content the put up in their RSS
 feed)

 Marcelo