Re: [Epiphany] Bookmarks design

Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:

>>Well my thinking was that if you wanted to remove a topic, you could
>>select the topic and delete it. Keep in mind the key difference between
>>topics and folders, is that topics are not a container object, they are
>>simply metadata. So if a user wanted to completely remove a topic
>>(keyword) this would provide a simple way of doing this without
>>requiring the user to individually remove the topic from every bookmark
>>that contains it. However removing a topic doesn't remove the bookmarks
>>that had been marked with that topic, because topics are not containers
>>like folders.
>>

>Sure I see that. My worry is that it's not clear to the user where the
>action is going to be taken. Try to do the same with current bookmarks
>dialog (remove button).

Yeah i think we just need to do user testing to figure out what works
best here.

>About the metadata thing, it seem like the multiple topic design goes
>even more in this direction, /me is a bit worried ;) but I think it
>works better.

Don't worry, this rocks... :)

>>Hmm thats a little worrysome...perhaps even a bug in egg menus? I
>>personally consider the fact that cut, copy and paste aren't insensitive
>>in the main window a bug as well.
>>I think this does work in nautilus with bonnoboui, so i guess i'm just
>>concerned.
>>

>It's not a problem with the menus but with editable cells in the
>treeviews. I cant find an api to do that ... does nautilus have this in
>treeview cells ? or you mean the files title editing in icon view ?

Yeah apparently this is borked in nautilus list view too. Could you file
a gtk treeview bug (since you know the api much better than I) since
this would be nice to get fixed for all apps.

>>>Another thing that worries me is that editing and double click could
>>>conflict. There are two modes, not sure if in "double click mode you can
>>>edit the entry, even from the menus.
>>>

>>I don't think double click should edit in the bme. For bookmarks double
>>click should open, similar to the behavior of the file manager.
>>

>Yeah, but I'm worried if you want edit with F2 you have to enable also
>double click editing, I may be wrong.

Nautilus does some hackery here. It sets the tree view to non-editable
by default, and than switches the list to an editable tree when rename
is selected from the menus. J. Blandford is aware of the issues with the
use of gtktreeview, and has discussed some of the problems with Dave
Camp too. Check out this discussion on gtk-devel:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2003-March/msg00208.html

>>I'm not sure I'm not sure i'm following you here. I wouldn't have the
>>ability to open bookmarks in the current window (well except in the tabs
>>case as mentioned above).
>>

>Yeah. So your bookmarks editor would be a central place from where the
>user can open bookmarks in different window, something that can be used
>even without a browser window opened, while my would act mainly on the
>current window (so the main usage path would be: open window, open be,
>choose site).

Mine could actually do either. If an existing browser window is open you
can drag and drop a bookmark from the bme to the browser too :)

dave