Re: [Epiphany] Bookmarks design

On Sun, 2003-03-16 at 22:17, Dave Bordoley wrote:
> I just threw this together, so there may be some inconsistencies  but it
> should give you the general gist of how I would like the bme to act.
>
> Dave's Propose Top Level Window Bookmark Editor
> In a last ditch effort to convince marco that a toplevel bme window
> would be cool, here is my pseudo ui proposal. One nicety of a toplevel
> window is that it would be possible to open the bookmarks editor,
> without first opening a browser window (via a command line switch and
> probably another app menu entry). This would imo further facilitate fast
> access to bookmarks, by removing the middle man (the browser).

Thanks for this Dave, very appreciated.

> Screenshot:
> ------------------------
>
> http://www.msu.edu/~bordoley/bme.png
> Forgive me for any incorrect spacing, and for not coding up the trees,
> but you know its a glade mockup :)
>

> Menus
> ------------------------
> File:
> ->New _Topic   Ctrl+N
>     Create a new topic in the topic list.
> ->-----------------
> ->Open in _New Window(s)  Ctrl+O
>     Open the selected bookmark(s) in a new window(s).
>     Should be insensitive if there are no selections.
> ->Open in New _Tab(s)  Shift+Ctrl+O
>     Open the selected bookmark(s) in a new tab(s) in the last used
> browser window.
>     If there are no exisiting open windows, open a new window.
>     Editor note: Yeah this could be a little confusing, but just
> remember tabs are crack anyway.
>     Should be insensitive if there are no selections.
> ->-----------------
> ->Re_name  F2
>     Behavior depends on the selection. If a single bookmark is selected,
> the tree entry switches into editting
>     mode to allow editting the name. Behavior is similar if a topic is
> selected. If multiple bookmarks or topics
>     are selected this item ought to be insensitive.
> ->_Remove  Delete
>     Behavior depends on the selection. If a bookmark(s) is selected, it
> is removed from all topics.
>     If a topic is selected, only the topic itself is removed, all
> bookmarks that contain the topic still remain

You mean: only the topic is selected / both are selected ?
Ihmo this is potentially crack. I'd remove ever just the bookmark.

>     in the "All" topic. Should be insensitive if there are no selections.
> ->_Properties  Alt+Enter
>     Open the property window of the selected bookmark. If there are
> multiple selections, it can either follow
>     nautilus behavior and open a property window for each selected
> bookmark,
>     or perhaps a multiple selection pref dialog can be created.
>     Should be insensitive if there are no selections.
> ->-----------------
> ->_Close  Ctrl+W
>     Close the bookmarks window.
>
> Edit:
> ->_Undo  Ctrl+Z
>     Undo the last done action, including removal of bookmarks, keywords,
> any editting done etc.
> ->_Redo  Shift+Ctrl+z
>     Exact opposite of Redo

These are hard, not sure if I have time to implement them.

> ->-----------------
> ->Cu_t  Ctrl+X
> ->_Copy Ctrl+C
>     These menu entries only apply to text editting, and should be
> insensitive unless there is a text selection.
> ->_Paste  Ctrl+V
>     This menu entry only applies to text editing, and should be
> insensitive unless there is clipboard content
>     to be pasted.

Not sure if these can implemented. Shortcuts works, but I dont think
it's possible to bind menus to these actions.
Another thing that worries me is that editing and double click could
conflict. There are two modes, not sure if in "double click mode you can
edit the entry, even from the menus.

> ->-----------------
> -> Select _All  Ctrl+A
>     Behavior depends on selection and focus. If a text entry has focus,
> it selects all text in the entry.
>     If a tree (bookmarks or topic lists), it selects all items in the tree.

I'm not convinced it's clear to the user when Topics or Bookmarks has
the focus. Also topics are single selection.
I'd ever select bookmarks here too (when not editing)

> Help:
> -> _Contents  F1
>     Display the bookmark editor help
> -> _About

We need about here ? Looks like a separate application :)

> Context Menus:
> ----------------------------
> Bookmark(s):
> -> Open in _New Window(s)
> -> Open in New _Tab(s)
> -> Re_name
> -> _Remove
> -> _Properties
>
> Topic(s)
> -> Open in _New Windows
> -> Open in New _Tabs
> -> Re_name
> -> _Remove
>

> Other Interaction Notes:
> ---------------------------------------
> 1. Keywords can be added to bookmarks by dragging and dropping a
> bookmark to the keyword.
> 2. Double clicking on a bookmark performs the default opening action
> (following the user pref)

So I cant open a bookmark in current window right ? Like there is not
current window ?

> 3. Should you be able to double click on a topic?

What that would do ?

So it's still central place to open bookmarks from VS open bookmarks in current window.
Not sure how we could make a clear call about that ;)

Btw do you agree about the multiple topics thing and in particular about the ui to choose
topics in new bookmark dialog ? Choosing a clear direction about this would be important
because that's what will need the more important code changes.

Marco