Re: [Epiphany] Bookmarks design

> Well my thinking was that if you wanted to remove a topic, you could
> select the topic and delete it. Keep in mind the key difference between
> topics and folders, is that topics are not a container object, they are
> simply metadata. So if a user wanted to completely remove a topic
> (keyword) this would provide a simple way of doing this without
> requiring the user to individually remove the topic from every bookmark
> that contains it. However removing a topic doesn't remove the bookmarks
> that had been marked with that topic, because topics are not containers
> like folders.

Sure I see that. My worry is that it's not clear to the user where the
action is going to be taken. Try to do the same with current bookmarks
dialog (remove button).

About the metadata thing, it seem like the multiple topic design goes
even more in this direction, /me is a bit worried ;) but I think it
works better.

> Hmm thats a little worrysome...perhaps even a bug in egg menus? I
> personally consider the fact that cut, copy and paste aren't insensitive
> in the main window a bug as well.
> I think this does work in nautilus with bonnoboui, so i guess i'm just
> concerned.

It's not a problem with the menus but with editable cells in the
treeviews. I cant find an api to do that ... does nautilus have this in
treeview cells ? or you mean the files title editing in icon view ?

> >Another thing that worries me is that editing and double click could
> >conflict. There are two modes, not sure if in "double click mode you can
> >edit the entry, even from the menus.
> >
> I don't think double click should edit in the bme. For bookmarks double
> click should open, similar to the behavior of the file manager.

Yeah, but I'm worried if you want edit with F2 you have to enable also
double click editing, I may be wrong.

> Eh, just needed something else to put there :), can't really hurt to
> advertise how cool our maintainer is. :)

Hehe ;)

> >>Context Menus:
> >>----------------------------
> >>Bookmark(s):
> >>-> Open in _New Window(s)
> >>-> Open in New _Tab(s)
> >>-> Re_name
> >>-> _Remove
> >>-> _Properties
> >>
> >>Topic(s)
> >>-> Open in _New Windows
> >>-> Open in New _Tabs
> >>-> Re_name
> >>-> _Remove
> >>

> >>Other Interaction Notes:
> >>---------------------------------------
> >>1. Keywords can be added to bookmarks by dragging and dropping a
> >>bookmark to the keyword.
> >>2. Double clicking on a bookmark performs the default opening action
> >>(following the user pref)
> >>

> >So I cant open a bookmark in current window right ? Like there is not
> >current window ?
> >

> Yeah, in my original proposal, that is in bugzilla, i did include that
> ability. After some thought though i decided that it could lead to a
> potentially confusing ui and interaction. This is the major difference
> between your proposal and mine i guess.

Right.

> >>3. Should you be able to double click on a topic?
> >>

> >What that would do ?
> >
> I'm incline to say that double clicking should probably do nothing, well
> other than selecting the topic. Opening all the bookmarks with that
> topic could be potentially hazardous ( i imagine a 100 windows opening
> on me).

I agree.

> >So it's still central place to open bookmarks from VS open bookmarks in current window.
> >Not sure how we could make a clear call about that ;)
> >
> I'm not sure I'm not sure i'm following you here. I wouldn't have the
> ability to open bookmarks in the current window (well except in the tabs
> case as mentioned above).

Yeah. So your bookmarks editor would be a central place from where the
user can open bookmarks in different window, something that can be used
even without a browser window opened, while my would act mainly on the
current window (so the main usage path would be: open window, open be,
choose site).

> >Btw do you agree about the multiple topics thing and in particular about the ui to choose
> >topics in new bookmark dialog ? Choosing a clear direction about this would be important
> >because that's what will need the more important code changes.
> >
> Yes I think the ability to have multiple topics is a good idea. I also
> like your new bookmark dialog (similar to what I had suggested :) ).  Oh
> yeah and topics should be able to be more than one word.

Great, looks like we are making progresses :)

Marco