Re: [Epiphany] Bookmarks design

Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:

>>Menus
>>------------------------
>>File:
>>
>>->_Remove  Delete
>>    Behavior depends on the selection. If a bookmark(s) is selected, it
>>is removed from all topics.
>>    If a topic is selected, only the topic itself is removed, all
>>bookmarks that contain the topic still remain
>>

>You mean: only the topic is selected / both are selected ?
>Ihmo this is potentially crack. I'd remove ever just the bookmark.

Well my thinking was that if you wanted to remove a topic, you could
select the topic and delete it. Keep in mind the key difference between
topics and folders, is that topics are not a container object, they are
simply metadata. So if a user wanted to completely remove a topic
(keyword) this would provide a simple way of doing this without
requiring the user to individually remove the topic from every bookmark
that contains it. However removing a topic doesn't remove the bookmarks
that had been marked with that topic, because topics are not containers
like folders.

I should add that alot of this menu behavior is open to testing and
tweaking. These are just my initial thoughts but without a working
example its hard to really tell if the intricacies work in real life.

>>Edit:
>>->_Undo  Ctrl+Z
>>    Undo the last done action, including removal of bookmarks, keywords,
>>any editting done etc.
>>->_Redo  Shift+Ctrl+z
>>    Exact opposite of Redo
>>

>These are hard, not sure if I have time to implement them.

If anything i would say that these are extras. However if we go with
this design, i think we should file bugs to add these when possible. I
guess the most important thing right now would be to provide the
infrastructure to allow there addition in the future. In particular,
undo is a really good feature to have because it makes the ui more
forgiving of user mistakes.

>>->-----------------
>>->Cu_t  Ctrl+X
>>->_Copy Ctrl+C
>>    These menu entries only apply to text editting, and should be
>>insensitive unless there is a text selection.
>>->_Paste  Ctrl+V
>>    This menu entry only applies to text editing, and should be
>>insensitive unless there is clipboard content
>>    to be pasted.
>>

>Not sure if these can implemented. Shortcuts works, but I dont think
>it's possible to bind menus to these actions.

Hmm thats a little worrysome...perhaps even a bug in egg menus? I
personally consider the fact that cut, copy and paste aren't insensitive
in the main window a bug as well.
I think this does work in nautilus with bonnoboui, so i guess i'm just
concerned.

>Another thing that worries me is that editing and double click could
>conflict. There are two modes, not sure if in "double click mode you can
>edit the entry, even from the menus.

I don't think double click should edit in the bme. For bookmarks double
click should open, similar to the behavior of the file manager.

>>->-----------------
>>-> Select _All  Ctrl+A
>>    Behavior depends on selection and focus. If a text entry has focus,
>>it selects all text in the entry.
>>    If a tree (bookmarks or topic lists), it selects all items in the tree.
>>

>I'm not convinced it's clear to the user when Topics or Bookmarks has
>the focus. Also topics are single selection.
>I'd ever select bookmarks here too (when not editing)

Yeah as mentioned before, the exact behavior should be tweaked based
upon real world testing, this was just my initial idea.

>>Help:
>>-> _Contents  F1
>>    Display the bookmark editor help
>>-> _About
>>

>We need about here ? Looks like a separate application :)

Eh, just needed something else to put there :), can't really hurt to
advertise how cool our maintainer is. :)

>>Context Menus:
>>----------------------------
>>Bookmark(s):
>>-> Open in _New Window(s)
>>-> Open in New _Tab(s)
>>-> Re_name
>>-> _Remove
>>-> _Properties
>>
>>Topic(s)
>>-> Open in _New Windows
>>-> Open in New _Tabs
>>-> Re_name
>>-> _Remove
>>

>>Other Interaction Notes:
>>---------------------------------------
>>1. Keywords can be added to bookmarks by dragging and dropping a
>>bookmark to the keyword.
>>2. Double clicking on a bookmark performs the default opening action
>>(following the user pref)
>>

>So I cant open a bookmark in current window right ? Like there is not
>current window ?

Yeah, in my original proposal, that is in bugzilla, i did include that
ability. After some thought though i decided that it could lead to a
potentially confusing ui and interaction. This is the major difference
between your proposal and mine i guess.

>>3. Should you be able to double click on a topic?
>>

>What that would do ?

I'm incline to say that double clicking should probably do nothing, well
other than selecting the topic. Opening all the bookmarks with that
topic could be potentially hazardous ( i imagine a 100 windows opening
on me).

>So it's still central place to open bookmarks from VS open bookmarks in current window.
>Not sure how we could make a clear call about that ;)

I'm not sure I'm not sure i'm following you here. I wouldn't have the
ability to open bookmarks in the current window (well except in the tabs
case as mentioned above).

>Btw do you agree about the multiple topics thing and in particular about the ui to choose
>topics in new bookmark dialog ? Choosing a clear direction about this would be important
>because that's what will need the more important code changes.

Yes I think the ability to have multiple topics is a good idea. I also
like your new bookmark dialog (similar to what I had suggested :) ).  Oh
yeah and topics should be able to be more than one word.

dave