Re: Ideas for gnome.org

Alexandre Franke <afranke gnome org> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 7:15 AM, Nuritzi Sanchez
<nuritzis stanfordalumni org> wrote:
> Provide a place for contributors to organize themselves

I don't really see that in the website. To me that's the wiki. Where
do you see that happening on the website?

> Keep the community updated on important updates

I'd say our news updates are more external. Our main internal news
channels are the planet and foundation-list.

> Access important information about the Foundation or Project

gnome.org is the first point of contact between the GNOME project and the outside world. It needs to be able to route visitors through to the various aspects of the project that they might be interested in, and it needs to channel people to critical paths (fund raising, attracting volunteers). gnome.org also defines us though. It is our public face - it is where we present who we are, what we have to offer, and what we are about.

I think that latter question of presentation is the most interesting from a design point of view. Should gnome.org be a stylish product splash, aimed at users? Should it set out an organisational mission? Is it a "hub", which brings together different aspects of the project (product, mission, technologies, community, etc)?

The other interesting question is the relationship between gnome.org and the news section, as well as the purpose of the news section in general. We don't necessarily have to have news on the website, and it's worth discussing the role it plays there. The news section has a much more ambiguous audience compared to the rest of the website.