Re: Revisiting the Friends of GNOME webpages

Ekaterina Gerasimova <kittykat3756 gmail com> wrote:
I think post cards are awesome, but we *really* need to re-evaluate
who is on that list.

My concern is that if people are excited about getting a gift, it can easily take the gloss off the experience if they have to wait for it for a really long time. We're taking their money. Can't we even be bothered to send them a postcard on time? If the post card comes after 6 months, it hardly reinforces that the recipient is important to the project: quite the opposite.

Note that there's nothing on the website about how soon the post card will come. It's easy to get the impression that it will arrive straight away.

T-shirts are not a problem as Rosanna sends out
that type of merchandise herself. So as long as the need to act is
communicated clearly and persistently…

T-shirts are quite a lot more work and expense than postcards, so it might be worth evaluating these separately.

As a data point: none of the charities I donate to provide free gifts (although you do usually get a leaflet or thank you card): the donation is a charitable act, and they want all the money to go to the specified cause.