Re: Implement whatcanidoforgnome.org?"

On 3 March 2014 11:21, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
I think we need to start at the foundation and build up though (I
think I'm in agreement with Diego here). Before we create a website
(or add to the existing one) we need to ensure that each team has a
set of concrete tasks that new contributors can work on. We will then
need to maintain this task list so the website doesn't get stale.

I agree, but I don't think that's a sustainable path. It will be quite
hard to make sure resources are up-to-date for all teams in the
community.

Instead of telling users what they can do, a more manageable solution
might be to tell them how to figure that out by themselves. Most
emails we get to OPW and gnome-love lists are from beginners asking
"how do I get started?" instead of "what can I do?" - which is the
kind of proactive attitude we should encourage from day #01 in order
to cultivate long-term contributors.

Might work better to check out current resources for:

- up-to-date list of team members and mentors
- resources to find beginner tasks
- resources to get ready to help (tools, etc)

Moreover, I think we need a better workspace for the project. Before
diving into contributing, it helps to just lurk around and get a
feeling of how things work. We do not excel at having day-to-day
discussions in mailing lists, and IRC can be pretty tough to follow -
especially if you're at school or work all day. I'd love to start
experimenting with more open tools to communicate our tasks and
discussions.

- Fabiana