Re: Implement whatcanidoforgnome.org?"

Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
Check this out:
http://diegoe.be/2014/02/24/habits-and-engagement/

Heh, Diego was using the engagement word before it was cool.

The video is only 20 minutes, and it's really interesting. If you have
extra time, also check the youtube video linked in the post.

Bottom line is that users (or contributors) are more likely to engage
deeply if we help a habit to form.
This is easier if we make actions and rewards crystal clear and easily
accessible.

I would say that this can be part of a (bit) bigger strategy. Shall we :-)?

+1 from me.

I've been thinking a fair bit about enabling participation recently,
and I'm a big fan of suggesting concrete tasks that people can work
on. I also like the way that the Mozilla tool matches people to tasks
through areas of expertise (which is something we do in a less
elaborate way on the getting involved page [1]). I'm not *entirely*
sure about the design of the Mozilla site (it seems a bit gimmicky to
me), but that's probably a conversation for another time. ;)

I think we need to start at the foundation and build up though (I
think I'm in agreement with Diego here). Before we create a website
(or add to the existing one) we need to ensure that each team has a
set of concrete tasks that new contributors can work on. We will then
need to maintain this task list so the website doesn't get stale. I
believe that Tiffany was working in this area, and it would be good to
pick it up; maybe we could have a process where we review each team to
check that they have relevant tasks for new contributors.

The major challenge here, I think, is ensuring that we have
development tasks that are ready and waiting to be implemented by
contributors. Until we can point new participants to these in a
directed way ("this is Bugzilla; go wild" isn't going to work), we're
a bit stuck.

tl;dr: I like the general premise a lot, and think we should do some
groundwork first. A good first step would be to review what
opportunities there are and identify any blank spots.

Allan

[1] http://www.gnome.org/get-involved/