Re: Implement whatcanidoforgnome.org?"

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 11:21 AM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
Heh, Diego was using the engagement word before it was cool.

>> The video is only 20 minutes, and it's really interesting. If you have
>> extra time, also check the youtube video linked in the post.
>>
>> Bottom line is that users (or contributors) are more likely to engage
>> deeply if we help a habit to form.
>> This is easier if we make actions and rewards crystal clear and easily
>> accessible.
>>
>> I would say that this can be part of a (bit) bigger strategy. Shall we :-)?
>>

> +1 from me.

I think we need to start at the foundation and build up though (I
think I'm in agreement with Diego here). Before we create a website
(or add to the existing one) we need to ensure that each team has a
set of concrete tasks that new contributors can work on. We will then
need to maintain this task list so the website doesn't get stale. I
believe that Tiffany was working in this area, and it would be good to
pick it up; maybe we could have a process where we review each team to check that they have relevant tasks for new contributors.

I'm  on same the page with you about this. It is of course of critical importance that we have a solid foundation before we launch anything (I hope my mail did not indicated anything else). I also agree about the need for each team to come up with takes.

tl;dr: I like the general premise a lot, and think we should do some
groundwork first. A good first step would be to review what
opportunities there are and identify any blank spots.

This process are taking place within Mozilla, I would recommend you to take a look at this discussion to get an idea of how the process could look like.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.webmaker/hz9UOiLVupc

--
-mvh Oliver Propst