Re: Encouraging participation with gamification

El Sábado 11 de enero de 2014 3:35, Fabiana Simões <fabianapsimoes gmail com> escribió:

Hi Juanjo,
Thanks so much for starting this discussion!
One of my concerns w/r/t/ a badge system is recognizing and giving merit to all contributors. It should be
relatively straightforward to set up badge triggers based on bugs and git commits, but do you have any ideas
on how to support and appreciate other kinds of contributions?

Well, many types of contributions involve bugs and git commits (sysadmins, documenters, website, etc), so it
is a good start. Of course, there are other things we can try to cover (events organizations, talks, mailing
list maintainers, wiki writers, etc), so we can find ways to recognoise this work.

Another potential issue is the lack of single sign-on for the different tools we use to contribute to GNOME.
Do you have any ideas on how Vinicius was planning to work around that for the GNOME Community site?

Vinicius mentioned several ways to gather information:

- For BugZilla, there is XML RPC communication support [1]

- For Damned Lies, we can get a feed of actions (like [2]), but only if we specify a language or a module.
Hacking it to provide a
global feed of actions (and informing the user email in the feed) would
solve the case.
- For git, we can use server-side post-receive hook [3] or parse cgit feeds (like [4])

[1] http://www.bugzilla.org/docs/3.4/en/html/api/contrib/bz_webservice_demo.html

[2] http://l10n.gnome.org/rss/languages/pt_BR/

[3] http://progit.org/book/ch7-3.html
[4] http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell/atom/?all=1

Does anyone have some experience with this to know how difficult is to make all of these working ?.

BTW, Vinicius' Community page project work is here:

https://github.com/vdepizzol/gnome-buddypress-community

It is based in the Wordpress plugin called Buddypress.

[5] http://buddypress.org

On a similar note, I think there are a number of things we can do to recognize and promote participation. It
would be really awesome if teams could regularly give kudos to new contributors doing significant work, or
if we could recognize people involved in ours releases similarly to how WordPress does:
http://wordpress.org/news/2013/12/parker/.

I think the kudos sounds like a very good idea :-) and it works to fill the gap of activities not covered by
bugs and git commits to some extent and give a more human touch.

Cheers,

   -- Juanjo