Re: Encouraging participation with gamification

> El Sábado 11 de enero de 2014 3:50, Michael Hasselmann <michael taschenorakel de> escribió:
> > Hi,
>
> I dislike the gamification of what should be considered a commitment.
>
> Also, putting too much value on past contributions creates a higher
> barrier for newcomers, as they will measure themselves with those who
> have been collecting badges for +5 years, especially if those badges are
> publicly visible.
>
> Reddit's Karma system is a great example of the kind of contributions we
> probably don't want in GNOME. There's rarely anything insightful in
> those one-liner comments that game the readers for upvotes.
>
> In short: We want to focus on future contributions and I don't see yet
> how gamification could help with that.

Hi Michael !

I think the opposite, the idea of using gamification is mainly for helping new contributors to feel integrated in our Community. The first steps in GNOME can be hard and small rewards like badges can be a sort of stimulus to keep contributing. Gamification is about accompany contributors in the journey from novice to master.

I agree with you that we should avoid a competition of bagdes or something like that.  For example, I don't think it is good idea to tell a contributor is the nth in the ranking of number of contributions. There are people contributing for years and it is not a fair comparison.

We already have some sort of badge system in  GNOME. To be a GNOME foundation member, member of the board ,maintainer, git committer, member of a team can be associated easily to a badge system.

Cheers,

    -- Juanjo Marin