Re: important discussion on LWN

I am not doing Desktop development, therefore I can't talk about portability or features in GTK and Qt,
but from my point of view, Qt isn't just a toolkit but a completely API for doing pretty much everything,
like accessing DBs, it has network communication classes, access to sound functions etc, everything
through Qt API.

Furthermore it has lots of examples, nice documentation and personally I think is the easiest GUI
to develop with it.

Then again, most applications I'm using are written in HTML5 shells and since the LWN article mentions
Unity8 and Qt5, again ..many Unity8 apps will use the Qt5 Web-Container so they basically are Webkit apps
and not Qt5 apps.

Personally I would be more concerned to see a better integration of Qt5 and HTML5 applications in GNOME
rather interested to Qt Vs GTK thing :)

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 3:56 PM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> I don't want to reply there directly, but we've done a number of
> things this cycle that should be useful in countering this perception:

There's also the longer list of things that have happened in GTK+ over
the past 2/3 of cycles:

 - Widget opacity

 - Frame sync for smooth animations

 - Widget templates

 - Improved CSS support

 - New widgets: revealers, stack switchers, popovers, header bars,
search bars, list boxes,

 - Baseline alignment

 - HiDPI support

 - Model-based menus (this is particularly relevant for cross-platform support)

 - New process launching API

 - Improved documentation

And other major stuff in the pipeline:

 - Multitouch support (coming in 3.14)

 - Data models

 - Scene graph

 - Wayland

So I think there is a compelling story about how GTK+ is developing,
and where it is going to end up.