Re: Contractor status update: last week & next steps

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 5:58 AM, Sumana Harihareswara <sumanah panix com> wrote:

By the way, Allan and I have started this here: http://live.gnome.org/GnomeMarketing/ThreePointZero/LessonsLearned

Oh neat.. I'll have to peruse.. I know I certainly learned some things..

* Get a couple of nice articles into external news sites.

I think an under-appreciated aspect of GNOME 3 is the GObject introspection, so that's something I've been telling reporters about.  I also contacted a Pacific Northwest reporter to let him know Sri will talk about GNOME 3 at LinuxFest Northwest in a few weeks.

I think definitely think that from a developer perspective GObject introspection hasn't gotten as much attention as it should.  It was a pretty hot thing about a year ago that excited a lot of people within the GNOME community.  Seed and Vala are prime examples of what can be done with GObject introspection.

Reporters eh?  Looks like I'm going to have spend a little more time on the platform.. and commit some things to memory :)

That all sounds good, Allan.  I am especially a fan of cleaning up the marketing wiki, consolidating material on fewer pages, and adding a Reviews/What People Are Saying part on gnome3.org.

Speaking of the wiki, I really wish that we had a "start here" type of home page that goes off into various places into live.gnome.org.  Somtimes information is spread out over the wiki and you end up using searches to get what you want.

Who are our liaisons with particular distributions?  Do we have any such liaisons?  Ubuntu 11.04 is out on the 28th, OpenBSD on 1 May, Fedora 15 on 24 May, Mandriva on 13 June (dates according to DistroWatch), and if we can provide them our GNOME 3 materials (screenshots, videos, FAQs, etc.). That way they can redistribute them to their users.  If we don't have any particular distro liaisons, then Allan and I should find their marketing people and liaise.

 I'm curious to know about the *BSD, I never hear about it and I haven't participated in their community in quite some time?  Is there anybody involved with them at all?

Just to add my two cents - I've  recruited about three people so far, two for marketing and one for journal.  Two are interested in doing video type stuff and the other is collaborating with me on gnome shell extensions.  (if you guys are reading this, doing an intro would be great. :-)