Re: Contractor status update: last week & next steps

On 04/12/2011 05:54 AM, Allan Day wrote:
Hi all,

Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
[snip]
Now that we've launched, I talked with Allan about how to best use the
rest of our contracts (we're booked to work on GNOME till the end of
April).  We think our priorities for the rest of April are:

(a) reach out to not-so-news-driven (more in-depth-reporting)
journalists about aspects of the release that didn't get covered on
launch day -- once we get some bites, prep developers who have
volunteered, and get them interviewed

Trying, not having much success.

(b) write up lessons learned&  ideas for next time

By the way, Allan and I have started this here: http://live.gnome.org/GnomeMarketing/ThreePointZero/LessonsLearned

(c) infrastructure building&  maintenance: update the wiki, consolidate
audiovisual and textual resources, and otherwise help prep for future
marketing, including press releases, talking points, etc. for the
launches of GNOME 3 within distributions that will come out in the next
weeks&  months

So I'm going to make some progress on each of those this week.
Specifically, I aim to reach out to two reporters, braindump a few
lessons learned privately, and confer with Allan and Vincent about
resource consolidation.  And I'm planning on pushing GNOME Journal's
next issue forward, in collaboration with Paul Cutler, but that's not
part of my contract since it's not GNOME 3-specific.  :-)
Looks good to me! I'll be writing a report on my recent activities in my
blog.

Some of the things I want to do in the upcoming weeks (apologies if this
overlaps with above):

Allan, there's no need to apologize for any overlap; I was anticipating that the priorities mentioned above would be things we both worked on.

* Get a couple of nice articles into external news sites.

I think an under-appreciated aspect of GNOME 3 is the GObject introspection, so that's something I've been telling reporters about. I also contacted a Pacific Northwest reporter to let him know Sri will talk about GNOME 3 at LinuxFest Northwest in a few weeks.

* Finish up the release parties photo competition and do what I can to
get the photos on gnome3.org.

* Improve the content that's on gnome.org and maybe produce a bit more
(I'm working with the design crew to produce a nice printable GNOME 3
cheat sheet).

* Clean up the marketing wiki pages, particularly the marketing
materials, and elaborate our brand guidelines so that they cover GNOME 3
patterns (stripes, Canterall, etc).

Can anybody think of anything else?!

Best wishes,

Allan

That all sounds good, Allan. I am especially a fan of cleaning up the marketing wiki, consolidating material on fewer pages, and adding a Reviews/What People Are Saying part on gnome3.org.

Who are our liaisons with particular distributions? Do we have any such liaisons? Ubuntu 11.04 is out on the 28th, OpenBSD on 1 May, Fedora 15 on 24 May, Mandriva on 13 June (dates according to DistroWatch), and if we can provide them our GNOME 3 materials (screenshots, videos, FAQs, etc.). That way they can redistribute them to their users. If we don't have any particular distro liaisons, then Allan and I should find their marketing people and liaise.

-Sumana