Re: Contractor status update: last week & next steps

Hi all,

Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
My last email, on April 1st, mentioned that "my main TODOs today, this
weekend, and early next week are to follow up on press contacts, the
eReleases blast, and GNOME Journal."  So I did that; that day, I got the
eReleases press release out [
http://www.ereleases.com/pr/gnome-30-users-developers-49501 ], and it
went to more than a thousand publications.  And then here's a list of
what I did last week:

* Corralled answers for journalists.  A few journalists asked me
followup questions after the press release [
http://www.gnome.org/press/2011/04/gnome-3-0-released-better-for-users-developers-3/
], so I got answers from other GNOME people, wrote answers, replied to
the reporters via email and phone, and put these answers on the wiki:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeMarketing/TalkingPoints#Approaches_That_Work .

* Managed the GNOME Journal launch.  Nagged the last few authors, edited
articles for content and style, uploaded them, fought with Textpattern,
continued planning to move us to WordPress, and sent out the publication
announcement.  I'd still love for people to continue publicizing this,
since there are many interesting nuggets that I haven't seen picked up
by the larger press.

* (Started planning the next two issues of GNOME Journal, including
hopes for a 3.x roadmap article in case anyone wants to write it.)

* Did a teensy bit of web testing and feedback regarding gnome3.org.
Great job!

* Went to the Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit.  There, I talked up
GNOME 3 to reporters and other interested Linux folks, and made contact
with some KDE people and started talking about publicity for the
upcoming desktop summit [ http://www.desktopsummit.org/ ].  It sounds
like we should be working to drum up attendance now, by planning special
events, trumpeting rare speakers, and publicizing the unique benefits of
attending GUADEC & the Desktop Summit.

* Attended the marketing/PR training at the Linux Foundation
Collaboration Summit [
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/collaboration-summit/press-training
].  I sure did learn a lot, from strategies for resource-constrained
projects (build relationships with five key reporters) to tips for being
interviewed.  I will link to Cloer's slides and add my notes when she
puts them up.

Undone:  I didn't put tasks in Bugzilla because they were moving too
fast and I was in San Francisco, many timezones away from Allan in
Bangalore, and couldn't coordinate effectively.  Lesson for next time:
do it early if we're going to do it at all.  Similarly for setting up
interviews with key GNOME developers; I dropped the ball there.

Now that we've launched, I talked with Allan about how to best use the
rest of our contracts (we're booked to work on GNOME till the end of
April).  We think our priorities for the rest of April are:

(a) reach out to not-so-news-driven (more in-depth-reporting)
journalists about aspects of the release that didn't get covered on
launch day -- once we get some bites, prep developers who have
volunteered, and get them interviewed

(b) write up lessons learned & ideas for next time

(c) infrastructure building & maintenance: update the wiki, consolidate
audiovisual and textual resources, and otherwise help prep for future
marketing, including press releases, talking points, etc. for the
launches of GNOME 3 within distributions that will come out in the next
weeks & months

So I'm going to make some progress on each of those this week.
Specifically, I aim to reach out to two reporters, braindump a few
lessons learned privately, and confer with Allan and Vincent about
resource consolidation.  And I'm planning on pushing GNOME Journal's
next issue forward, in collaboration with Paul Cutler, but that's not
part of my contract since it's not GNOME 3-specific.  :-)

Looks good to me! I'll be writing a report on my recent activities in my
blog.

Some of the things I want to do in the upcoming weeks (apologies if this
overlaps with above):

* Get a couple of nice articles into external news sites.

* Finish up the release parties photo competition and do what I can to
get the photos on gnome3.org.

* Improve the content that's on gnome.org and maybe produce a bit more
(I'm working with the design crew to produce a nice printable GNOME 3
cheat sheet).

* Clean up the marketing wiki pages, particularly the marketing
materials, and elaborate our brand guidelines so that they cover GNOME 3
patterns (stripes, Canterall, etc).

Can anybody think of anything else?!

Best wishes,

Blog: http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/