Re: Campaign Proposal

On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 09:50 -0700, Stormy Peters wrote:

And perhaps they'll remember the message because of the animal.

They might forget, or not even notice, the GNOME message by itself,
but remember the animal and the associated message.

This is the whole premise behind using images in presentations. People
remember images. Even if the association between the image and the
message is not 100%.

Yes, I know. I studied this stuff.

So, let's think about it: Just imagine yourself back in collage, sitting
somewhere, eating a sandwich. Your eyes wander around and you spot a
poster on a near wall: There's a spider (or some other animal) in the
middle and it's says 'GNOME' in the lower right corner.

That's all you see because you have better things to do -- eating your
sandwich, for example, and then going back to your studies.

In good campaigns, images are meant to convey a certain message. A
successful example was Esso's 'Put a tiger in your tank':

 * http://www.adslogans.co.uk/hof/ad_esso.html
 * http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-qot-tlLrw
 * http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Q0BQV6s0w

As a metaphor, it's immediately clear what the message is. You didn't
even need to see the image -- the slogan/tagline was absolutely
sufficient!

And it was hugely successful as far as I know. After all, it was used
for over 25 years which is quite some time in advertising.

However, we're discussing the idea of picking images around a certain
theme and then ... what?

What was the message, again?

GNOME is a spider? GNOME cares about spiders? Spiders are cute?

Do we really have the money, the time, and the resources to promote
other humanitarian causes besides our own one?

I know I don't.

Regards,
Claus