Re: Campaign Proposal

Brian,

 I understand your concerns. I rest my case, not going against a
sponsor. I'm abandoning this idea.

 Nelson

On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 05:34 -0600, Brian Cameron wrote:
Nelson:

I also agree that a humanitarian theme is a something that appeals to
me.  However, picking the names of endangered species may not be the
message that we want to communicate.  This may create the undesirable
association that GNOME itself is an "endangered species".  This could
create bad press and ammo for critics.  It would be damaging to have
people start making jokes about GNOME 3.0 being the "Dodo Release", for
example.

I would prefer to associate GNOME with a humanitarian cause that
also communicates growth rather than being dangerously close to
extinction.  For example, why not name GNOME after a species that
has recovered from being extinct, or with something like solar
energy.  This communicates a more upbeat and positive message about
the brand, avoids such negative associations, and still promotes
humanitarian issues.

Brian

I appreciate that it's a nice idea to adopt humanitarian causes as a way
of having some of the good feelings people have for them to rub off on us.

But I really don't like the whole endangered species angle. Let me
explain why:

I have some more suggestions for names: "Lucid Lynx", "Intrepid Ibex",
"Jaunty Jackalope", "Hardy Heron"...

I don't mean to put a kybosh on the idea altogether, but the animal name
thing isn't really original, given Ubuntu.

  I couldn't care less. Point me some originality in Ubuntu, and I can
consider my position.

And the iLynx suggestion in the original proposal seems a but Applish,
no? In addition to the "iSomething" convention, Apple has used Cheetah,
Puma, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard as OS X release
codenames, so choosing a big cat doesn't seem like a good idea.

I've supplied alternatives. I've choosen the Iberian Lynx as a form to
translate my thoughts because he lives in Portugal and Spain and he is
my neighbor. Didn't felt like loosing time searching for other species.
I did flavoured a national cause (Portugal and Spain), because I am
Portuguese.

One other negative remark - do we really want to have GNOME associated
with extinct or almost extinct animals? While the Siberian Tiger, the
Iberian Lynx, the Javan Rhino and the Mountain Gorilla make for nice
icons, there are almost none left, and their population is in decline.
Is that the association we want people to make when they think of GNOME?

Anyway - sorry to be the party pooper.

  Well, it's better than associating it with Genghis Kahn (aka Temujin)
the Impaler. Do I see some sense here?

  And from another point of view: http://www.unep.ch/
  It is a subject being supported by the United Nations. And even
further: http://www.unep.org/awards/>>  Do we have a GNOME Logo there?
  If such thing happened, what were the benefits GNOME would take from
it?

  My 2 cents,

  PS: I've offered alternatives, such as the Spider Monkeys and the Red
Wolfs during this thread. Spider Monkeys means fighting against the
de-florestation of the Amazonian Rain Forest, and Red Wolfs is a US
national cause. In case we aint going for the cats.

  nelson

Cheers,
Dave.