projects.gnome.org (was Re: gnome app pages)

El dl 07 de 08 del 2006 a les 19:00 +0200, en/na Gergely Nagy va
escriure:

How about the evolution of gnome, i.e. how it all started? We cannot
guarantee somebody won't come up with an app/project/product name that
won't clash with other "normal" content...

Language is so rich, we can find alternatives if this is the problem.
The applications have chosen a name already, so the flexibility needs to
come from our end. Not a big deal.

Hmm. So we are talking about leaving wgo/projects/* _as is_ for this
release, and all this fuss is about a simple list of software, whose
usefulness is debated? And so far that was all the discussion that
involved the contents the new of wgo? That's a surprise. I must have
misunderstood something badly...

I think you are, sorry.

- Look at the (unassigned) goal Move projects subsites out of wgo? -
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/ProjectsPages . The current release
doesn't plan to touch the project subsites at all. "the current subsites
located at wgo/projects/* (e.g.
http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/ ) should stay as independent
subsites and be moved out of wgo, i.e. to projects.gnome.org". There is
a suggested goal for the next release: "Discuss and implement policies
and platform for the projects subsites platform.". But goals for next
releases are not decided now, it is a discussion to be held when we
finish 2.16.

- I don't think leaving wgo/projects/* "as is" is a perfect solution,
but if we want to release something we need to avoid perfection and try
to find feasible improvements without making anything worse. Currently
the subsites under wgo/projects/* have no connection with wgo at all,
and they will continue not having connection with the revamped wgo. We
don't improve the situation, but we don't worsen it.

- Telling Mr Apache to redirect wgo/projects/* -> prgo/* was a very good
and quick fix from my point of view, perfectly feasible in he current
release. Jeff and who knows if others disagree now, and IMO it will take
time to convince them, if we want to convince them with words. Time we
need to release something. This something will be IMO more convincing
than words. This is my secret strategy to convince Jeff & co.  ;)  Will
see if it works... in the 2.18 release.

- Dropping the wgo/projects/* -> prgo/* goal doesn't affect the list of
product pages. These product featured pages will point to URLs, if we
move the wgo/projects/* we update the URL links, end of the story.

- The product pages and the list (ex-software map) will be done for the
current release, no question about that. Everybody will love them, and
the fruitful discussion we are having will be part of this success.

My humble vote is against a bastard solution where both old and new
"CMS" content is served under www.gnome.org/. I consider this a
show-stopper for the new release. If we are not ready, we should not
release.

If this would be the only bastard solution we are going to apply for the
current release...

I wasn't here for the last n years (since the last wgo revamp) but I
think one lesson the people involved has learned is that looking for
perfection and common agreement may take ages.

My vote is to release now something decent and better than the wgo we
currently have, then do something good for 2.18 and after that,
something amazingly great.