Re: The "What is GNOME?" Answer

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 18:20 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:

  "The GNOME Project is an effort to create a complete, free and
  easy-to-use desktop environment for users, as well as a powerful
  application development framework for software developers."

Personally, the only change I would make is to cast it as a completed
goal, rather than an effort. (Simply delete "an effort to create".)

If we _really_ want to be simple, I would replace "desktop environment"
with "graphical environment and set of applications".

Yeah, I like both of those changes. Perhaps we should switch "an effort to
create" with "an international collaborative project that has created"?

I don't favour this.  Mainly because GNOME is the GNU Network Object
Model Environment, i.e. a bunch of software.  I overlooked, in the
original, the work "Project".  If the explanation is to be short,
perhaps we should focus first on the most tangible aspect of GNOME: all
those zeros and ones.  We could then split things into

(a) What is GNOME?
and
(b) What is the GNOME Project?

From my point of view this makes communication easier.