Re: The "What is GNOME?" Answer

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 17:56 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:

<quote who="John Williams">

But, again, we are going about this in the _wrong way_ again.  We need
the top management (Foundation board I suppose) to define what the
message they want to send is; and then the creative types can think of
ways to make it memorable and evocative.

I didn't really want to do this with my Board hat on, because the Board is
definitely *not* "top management" of GNOME. :-) If we come up with something
cool, we can ask the Board to give its blessing.

Who is "top management" of GNOME?  Who decides whether to proceed with
marketing decisions?

Rather than a pithy marketing slogan, I'm looking for an honest, informative
answer for when people ask us "What is GNOME?"
Good! That is really reassuring.

I used the examples of family
and business people in my first mail. If your Mum, a client, or your CTO ask
"What is GNOME?", you wouldn't realistically answer, "GNOME! The Choice of
the GNU Generation!" ;-)
Check.

Our current answer (which was changed on some of our webpages), which I'm
inclined to stick with if no one can come up with something more informative
and/or inspirational, is:

  "The GNOME Project is an effort to create a complete, free and easy-to-use
  desktop environment for users, as well as a powerful application
  development framework for software developers."
Personally, the only change I would make is to cast it as a completed
goal, rather than an effort. (Simply delete "an effort to create".)

If we _really_ want to be simple, I would replace "desktop environment"
with "graphical environment and set of applications".

I take it we don't need to emphasise that it is only for Unix-like OSes?