Re: [Ekiga-list] GNOME3/2 controversy

On Fri, 17 May 2013, Genghis Khan wrote:

Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 01:01:25
From: Genghis Khan <genghiskhan gmx ca>
Cc: Bret Busby <bret busby net>
Subject: Re: [Ekiga-list] GNOME3/2 controversy

On Sat, 18 May 2013 00:54:45 +0800 (WST)
Bret Busby <bret busby net> wrote:

A problem that I see with running Debian 5 (I think that I am still
running it on our firewall/gateway machine, but that is because the
firewall software, which appears to still work, is now obsolete), is
that I understand that no updates, security or otherwise, are being
provided for Debian 5, which would make Debian 5 a vulnerability (I
think). I could be wrong in that.

Off topic: Did you refer to FireStarter[1] Firewall?

[1]: http://fs-security.com/

Yes.

It was about a uear ago, that, in response to a query that I posted on the Firestarter list, someone on the list, advised that Firestarter had been abandoned by its developers and was no longer being maintained.

But I think that (whilst I am still doing it, which is wrong) people should not still be running Debian 5, as I believe that it is no longer supported by security and otherwise updates.

But, as I said (I think), previously, I could be wrong in that belief.

And, as I previously said. the person to whom I was referring, was running Debian 5, so he could keep running GNOME 2.x, but, Debian 6.x, that I am running on this workstation, is also running GNOME 2.x, so the person should (unless some other reason exists) now be running Debian 6.x .

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."