Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga test today

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013, Genghis Khan wrote:

Hello,

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 19:03:00 -0800 (PST)
el_gallo_azul <el_gallo_azul yahoo com> wrote:

I just did a test using Ekiga with another noobie Ekiga user. He used
Ekiga 4.0 for Windows, and I used Ekiga 3.2.6 for Linux for the test.

1. I would like to carry out another test with another user of Ekiga
3.2.6. Please respond to me directly if you can help.

Why do you want to use 3.2.6, if I may ask?
As far as I recall, 3.2.6 or 3.2.7 have bad connectivity issues
which make Ekiga to freeze.

Hello.

I do not know whether this message will get through.

I have previously been unable to post to the list, and messages sent to people asking for assistance with the mailing list, have been unacknowledged.

I have both Ekiga and Skype installed.

The version of Ekiga that is in the Debian 6 (current stable version of Debian Linux) repository, is Ekiga 3.2.7-2.

I have noticed with test calls (that is all that I have been able to make, so far, with both Skype and Ekiga - haven't yet "connected up" with anyone, family or otherwise, who have made contact with me via Skype or Ekiga), that the Ekiga video of me, is highly pixellated, and is of low resolution, compared with Skype.

The version of Skype that I have installed, is 2.2.0.35-1, which I believe (but may be wrong) was in the Debian package repository when I installed Debian 6 on this computer. I assume that the existence of Skype in the Debian package repository, is from before when Microsoft took over Skype.

I am aware that both Ekiga and Skype are in versions 4.x, not, but installing Skype from the cuirrent version, on Debian amd64, appears to now be too complicated.

And, there is a weiord thing on the Skype web site - it shows that Skype is available for Debian, only for Debian 7 multiarch (?) which has not yet been released, and, it takes a bit of digging around on the Skype web site, to find the references to installing Skype on Debian 6.

Anyway, the latest version of Ekiga that shows in the Debian package repository, for Debian 6, is the Ekiga v 3.2.7-2, that I mentioned above as being installed on this computer, which is running Debian 6.0.x amd64, on an Intel I3 CPU.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."