Re: [Ekiga-list] Selecting audio devices with Pulse Audio

On 21/09/11 13:50, Jānis Rukšāns wrote:

When you're in a call, move the stream to the headset. Now PA should
remember the association for further calls - works for me with a USB
headset on Fedora 10. I'm not sure whether the PA will keep the config
after the pairing is removed though.

Thank you very much, I hadn't realised Pulse remembered associations like that. It mostly works, but:

1. Very unreliable when using the gnome sound settings applet. The input stream seems to end up on the bluetooth headset, but the output stream usually seems to end up on the internal sound card (may be related to (2) below).

2. Setting the streams in pavucontrol works, but it is unable to tell the difference between the stream opened for the ringer and the stream opened to output the call media, so if you tell it to route to the headset, the ringer goes there too.

3. Occasionally, when Ekiga opens the microphone device it just gets whitenoise from the headset. I guess this is probably not an Ekiga problem, and frankly could well be a problem with my ancient headset (if anyone has any recommendations for a Bluetooth headset that can be simultaneously paired to at least 3 phones, please let me know!)

On the whole, Pulse Audio seems to be quite smart with routing. If the headset is disconnected and I make a call, it uses the internal audio. However, if I press the button on the headset while a call is in progress, PA spots the new device, remembers that Ekiga should be going to it and spontaneously reroutes to the headset on the fly. :)

--

 - Steve