Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga w/VoipDiscount.com -

On 22/04/10 09:05, David Ford wrote:
Hi Yannick
Fedora core 11 in my case - using the Ekiga that came with it.

As a matter of interest Fedoras bug tracking system is full of complaints that Ekiga doesn't work - all marked No Fix. I don't know who packages Ekiga for Fedora but perhaps you should get in touch with him. Lots of the bug reports say Ekiga hasn't worked since 2.x in about FC 6 or 8.

Currently I have an ALSA error that I have tried to fix but I have managed to get no audio output in Ekiga and a feedback screech if I unplug the head set. I hope that undoing all I did will get it back to half working again. (To 'break' it I opened alsamixer and set up the sound card - I turned the +20db on for the mic - I think that pulse doesn't like it when you do that.)

I have pulseaudio installed and running.
Fedora Core 11
Ekiga 3.2.6

I have wireshark installed.

I can send d4 or wireshark reports - I'm not good at compiling or patching. I can install .rpm files locally or from a repository. It is a shame that none of Ekiga developers use a RedHat Linux because it is quite different from Debian versions.

I don't think this is a specific Ekiga problem - more of a packaging issue with Fedora.

Hope I can help to fix the problem

David
.

   Mine is about 80% working this morning.

       Fedora 12 updated to the most recent available.
       Ekiga 3.2.6 also
       Everything still in place, Pulseaudio, selinux, etc. and I keep
       the audio level controls set high with the +20 db switch on.
       Talking too close and loud will cause distortion ...

   One remaining problem is that my outgoing audio gets "chopped" as
   heard on echo test and my cell phone. Counting 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 it will
   drop 2 and 4? I don't know where that is happening but it does not
   happen on Echolink using Qtel, when Qtel works, but that's another
   temperamental voip program with differential problems.

   Am I alone with that chopping?

   Getting voipdiscount to register at start up seems to be a problem
   but that can wait, for the present I can mess with it 'til it registers.

   Now that I understand the setup process a little better [hardly an
   expert] I think I will try Twinkle again too.

   Bob