Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga 3.0.x issues

Le mercredi 21 janvier 2009 à 11:24 +0100, Wolfgang Rosenauer a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> yannick schrieb:
> > Le mercredi 21 janvier 2009 à 00:54 +0100, Wolfgang Rosenauer a écrit :
> >> yannick schrieb:
> >> ok, thanks for the hint. But probably I'm still missing a point. How do
> >> I make sure that some_sip_address somedomain com gets called through
> >> ekiga.net? That still seems to be undefined to me.
> >>

> > You can call other SIP networks using Peering:
> > https://www.ekiga.net/index.php?page=services
> > http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Peering
>
> hmm, we are probably talking about different things.
> I actually can reach some_sip_address somedomain com from ekiga.net
> without any problem. It's just that I want to be sure that it's actually
> using ekiga.net for outgoing calls in that case. Currently I keep my
> second account disabled just to achieve that.

As far as I know, if you place a call to
some_sip_address somedomain com , Ekiga will try to use the
somedomain.com SIP server, not the Ekiga.net one. This probably means
somedomain.com accept calls from clients who are not registered to it.

My bet is Ekiga.net works this way too.

Damien, can you confirm?

Still you have to register somewhere because this will allow other to
reach you using a simple SIP address. Plus, a central server can add
some more services, like searchable address book (like the whitepages),
web button reflecting your presence status, etc. If you do not register
anywhere, people will have to use your IP address directly, which is
less convenient.
Using the IP address directly is part of the SIP standard, there is
nothing wrong with that.

Best regards,
Yannick