Re: [Ekiga-list] Yet an other post on Pulseaudio

Le samedi 17 janvier 2009 à 20:42 +0000, Andrea a écrit :
> Andrea wrote:
> > Derek Smithies wrote:
> >> Hi,
>
> > On the alsa-pulse: I've noticed that even playing the ring tone directly from the configuration
> > dialog, gives a very poor quality (while aplay plays just fine the wav file).
> > So maybe we can make up a small example that would simplify the
> > either to report the bug to pulse,
> > or to fix it in ekiga.
>
> When playing a wav file via the preferences GUI, under PULSE, the following happens:
>
> In PA VolumeControl (pavucontrol) the stream corresponding to ekiga is not stable like e.g. mplayer.
> Let's say that the wav is 3 seconds long, then I will see the stream appearing and disappearing many
> times per second. I am talking about the stream that allows to change the volume of each application.
> At the same time the sound is not smooth at all.
>
> Could it be something like that the alsa-pulse converter does not work very well when one opens and
> closes continuously the output device? And instead of a continuous flow, we can hear a glitch for
> every "session".

It is possible, but if it is the case, then it is a bug in pulseaudio.

> What is even more strange is that the same does not happen during a call.
> There, the stream in the volume control is stable and the audio is much better.
>
> Does anybody know if there is a difference in the way a wav and the call audio are played?

The sound events are played the same way, but the audio stream is using
a constant stream until you disconnect the call.

Sometimes, the ring is provided by the server, not by Ekiga. In that
case, it is also a constant stream.

I think you should report a bug to pulseaudio about this.

Yes, we need to implement yet another audio backend (namely pulseaudio),
but they provide a compatibility layer that should work with Ekiga. In
this case, it does not.
--
 _     Damien Sandras
v_/_   Be IP           : http://www.beip.be/