Re: [Ekiga-list] Maybe was asked lot of time... what is the best platform for ekiga?

Hello,

Here is my experience with Ekiga:

I tried some versions of Ekiga with OpenSuSE (the one bundled with the distro) and I've had some problems. Then I built latest version (3.2.6) from sources and it ran pretty smoothly, except when it hangs: I've seen it hanging after a couple hours left alone and also, or when a video call didn't end properly. This is a test environment so, I can't draw conclusions about hanging in the middle of a video call.

Its video (I tried H.263) is much better than linphone's (ekiga's video was pretty clear while linphone was much like digital TV on a rainy day) and also Ekiga was the only one that established correctly a video call when the SDP was passed on a 180 (RINGING) response. From my viewpoint, that is a good thing about interoperability.

On Win32 (just installed the binaries), Ekiga seems to me also smooth and I've never seen it hanging. The only painful thing about ekiga on windows is to change some settings like the default SIP port. Apparently, it does not respect any configuration method other than gconf-editor.

For the moment, Ekiga & Linphone (respectively) are my favorites.

Regards,

Paulo