Re: What is "Negerpunk"?

On Fri, 2013-06-14 at 19:08 -0400, Phillip Susi wrote:
I think the test that should be used is whether or not this term is
actually in use.  Is there a published album that classifies itself with
this label?  A music store somewhere with a section dedicated to this
Genre?  If not, then perhaps it really was a bad joke and it's time to
stop copying it.

That's a good start for a test, but I still have a concern: Of all the
hundreds of different genres, I'm sure there are probably plenty of
ones just as obscure that we could spend all day trying to find an
album that self identifies. Examples include "porn groove" (109),
"booty bass" (107), "terror" (130), "math rock" (172), etc..

You've also got to love "ethnic" (48) which, personally, I think is far
more ridiculous a genre than "negerpunk", given that I'm yet to see
anyone characterize Beethoven or any other Belgian or European
originating music as "ethnic". I often hear people refer to Ethiopian,
Algerian, etc. cuisine as "ethnic" food, yet French fries are
apparently not, nor Ireland's McDonalds' brothers Irish, nor English
blood sausages. "Classical" is taken unqualified to mean distinctively
European, though Chinese people and most of the rest of the world
probably were capable of making and enjoying music throughout
antiquity.

Like many categories, the more you think about them in a philosophical
and epistemological sense, the more you realize they turn out to have
never made much sense to begin with. In this situation, as long as the
genre name's origin was made in good faith, I personally think we
should probably just leave "negerpunk" be in EasyTAG.

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred