Re: What is "Negerpunk"?

On Fri, 2013-06-14 at 22:50 +0200, Götz Waschk wrote:
Dear All,

it seems the genre list came from Winamp, they have extended the
original genre list and it was copied from winamp everywhere else,
like to lame and audacity. The audacity devs have removed it after a
complaint like this:
http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3924
It is part of lame since 2000 at least:
http://lame.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/lame/lame/libmp3lame/id3tag.c?revision=1.1&view=markup
According to this, it was renamed in winamp 5.63 to Afro-Punk:
http://alicja.dyns.cx/~mats/text/Music/MP3/ID3/Genres.txt

Regards, Götz
--
AL I:40: Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Thanks Götz. To be fair, we can't assess the motives behind the
nomenclature at the time the decision was made so I don't really know
for certain if it was intended to be a pejorative. As an example, the
prefix of the genre's etymology is rooted in the Latin which simply
means black. If it was thought that that had some kind of cultural
relevance to the music, it might be more suitable than a vague
"afro-punk" since I can't see anyone being comfortable with the
hypothetical "central asian-punk", "far east punk", "american punk",
"eurasian-punk", etc.

But if you can find a compelling reference that the motive was not in
good faith, I will remove it ASAP.

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred