Re: What is "Negerpunk"?

On 06/14/2013 05:00 PM, Kip Warner wrote:
Thanks Götz. To be fair, we can't assess the motives behind the
nomenclature at the time the decision was made so I don't really know
for certain if it was intended to be a pejorative. As an example, the
prefix of the genre's etymology is rooted in the Latin which simply
means black. If it was thought that that had some kind of cultural
relevance to the music, it might be more suitable than a vague
"afro-punk" since I can't see anyone being comfortable with the
hypothetical "central asian-punk", "far east punk", "american punk",
"eurasian-punk", etc.

But if you can find a compelling reference that the motive was not in
good faith, I will remove it ASAP.

I think the test that should be used is whether or not this term is actually in use. Is there a published album that classifies itself with this label? A music store somewhere with a section dedicated to this Genre? If not, then perhaps it really was a bad joke and it's time to stop copying it.