Re: [Easytag-mailing] EasyTAG-2.1.7-Delete hidden tags on saving?

Ok, so I'm not just missing something at least.

Metaflac sounds like it could solve the problem for FLAC files, but unfortunatly most of my music is in MP3 format.  Is there an analogue for MP3s that handles the different tag versions and peculiarities of that format?  I haven't found anything in some brief searching, but another mailing list user pointed me to eyeD3 which might be able to get pretty close with a little python magic.  I'll take a look at Kid3 -- thanks for the suggestion.

Regarding the feature in EasyTag, I wouldn't even need the ability to display or edit the other tags, just remove ALL tags and then recreate the ones visible in the GUI.  If I'm correct in understanding that the "remove all tags" action indeed does scrub the entire tag structure out of the file, then a second action like "remove all tags from file but leave GUI filled in" could do the same scrub but then let me save the tags that were previously read into the GUI right back out.  This of course relies on "remove all tags" actually scrubbing all tags; if it only clears the GUI fields, then having my proposed second action wouldn't make things easier.

If that sounds doable I'm happy to ticket it on github.  Sound worth doing?

Thanks for the help!

Charles

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Arnd <ttaapp gmail com> wrote:
Charles Lindsay <accounts chazomatic us> [Mon, 21 May 2012 11:40:15 -0700]

> This leads me to the conclusion that EasyTag is simply ignoring and
> leaving intact any fields not being shown in the GUI.  Is that the case?

Yes.

> If so, is there a way to instruct EasyTag to delete all fields that it's
> not showing?  I didn't see any options for that, or tools that would let
> me scrub files that way.

Unfortunately it's not possible from within EasyTag. You'd have to use
other tools for that:

One option specifically for FLAC is the CLI tool "metaflac". It's easy to
use, check the man page, and is very effective to strip specific fields
from many files as you can use wildcards. For example, this command strips
the ENCODER field from all my ripped FLAC files:

  metaflac --remove-tag=ENCODER */*/*.flac

A GUI option would be the tag editor Kid3 from KDE. It allows editing/
deleting of all tag fields.

I agree that EasyTag would be even better if it could display/edit all
existing fields, though from a past discussion I understood that this
would require a major rewrite of the code.