Re: Continued development?

On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 19:22 +0000, Darryl LeCount wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 16:44 +0200, Tom Parker wrote:
>
> > AFAIK, Todd was working on some form of rewrite of some of the core.
> > I've got some code (see ugly stuff at
> > http://code.google.com/p/libwalledgarden/) that was working towards
> > support for blogging systems without public APIs (MySpace et al) with a
> > primary target of working with Drivel, and I was kinda putting off
> > further work until the rewrite kicks in.
>
> It's an admirable goal, but don't many of these blog providers keep
> their APIs secret for a reason? They want people coming to the site and
> viewing/clicking on adverts to draw in revenue. All it takes is for a
> provider to change their API only slightly so that the third-party
> clients become useless (as I remember correctly, Microsoft and Yahoo did
> this to prevent access to MSN and Yahoo Messenger via clients like
> GAIM). Anyway, I'm no expert on this scene, and if the devs are sure
> they can keep up with any tactics like this, then go for it I say. I
> just hate to see months of hard work wasted by a disgruntled IT
> corporation.
>

> > If the end decision is that a friendly takeover/fork is necessary in
> > order to actually get some ongoing drivel development, then an early
> > order of business should probably be a review of the current internal
> > structure, and a debate about whether it needs refactoring.
>
> A takeover/fork is the last thing anyone wants, really. If Todd is still
> out there and still tending to the Drivel CVS then I'd be quite happy to
> twiddle around and submit a patch, providing he'd consider a stable
> release soon after so that Drivel can stay at the front of the pack (and
> given the lethargy of most other clients, I would say that including
> multiple categories would ensure its lead for a long time).
>
> All this said, for all the twiddling, examining and learning I'd be
> doing, Todd could probably do in 2-3 hours what would take me at least a
> month to do.

Yes, I agree...forking is the absolute last thing. What is Todd's email?
We should contact him directly, too.

Does anyone else have CVS/SVN access to commit?

The best solution IMO, would be to get a few more people with commit
access so that this kind of logjam won't happen again.

Jon

--
Jon Phillips

San Francisco, CA