Re: Continued development?

On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 16:44 +0200, Tom Parker wrote:

> AFAIK, Todd was working on some form of rewrite of some of the core.
> I've got some code (see ugly stuff at
> http://code.google.com/p/libwalledgarden/) that was working towards
> support for blogging systems without public APIs (MySpace et al) with a
> primary target of working with Drivel, and I was kinda putting off
> further work until the rewrite kicks in.

It's an admirable goal, but don't many of these blog providers keep
their APIs secret for a reason? They want people coming to the site and
viewing/clicking on adverts to draw in revenue. All it takes is for a
provider to change their API only slightly so that the third-party
clients become useless (as I remember correctly, Microsoft and Yahoo did
this to prevent access to MSN and Yahoo Messenger via clients like
GAIM). Anyway, I'm no expert on this scene, and if the devs are sure
they can keep up with any tactics like this, then go for it I say. I
just hate to see months of hard work wasted by a disgruntled IT
corporation.

> If the end decision is that a friendly takeover/fork is necessary in
> order to actually get some ongoing drivel development, then an early
> order of business should probably be a review of the current internal
> structure, and a debate about whether it needs refactoring.

A takeover/fork is the last thing anyone wants, really. If Todd is still
out there and still tending to the Drivel CVS then I'd be quite happy to
twiddle around and submit a patch, providing he'd consider a stable
release soon after so that Drivel can stay at the front of the pack (and
given the lethargy of most other clients, I would say that including
multiple categories would ensure its lead for a long time).

All this said, for all the twiddling, examining and learning I'd be
doing, Todd could probably do in 2-3 hours what would take me at least a
month to do.

Darryl LeCount
www.jamyskis.net
darryl jamyskis net

PGP Key: 1E94A0F1
To confirm the authenticity of this mail, add this key to your PGP keyring.
Um den Ursprung dieses E-Mails zu bestätigen, bitte diesen Schüssel an Ihrem PGP-Schlüsselbund einfügen.
Pour vérifier l'authenticité de ce courriel, ajoutez ce clé à votre porte-clés PGP.